SIMERPE 2: Second Iberian Symposium on Modeling and Assessment of Fishery Resources
SIMERPE 2 2023 will be the second edition of the Iberian Symposium on Modeling and Assessment of Fishery Resources, SIMERPE (In Spanish: Simposio Ibérico de Modelado y Evaluación de Recursos Pesqueros), held in El Puerto de Santa María, Cádiz.
The concept of fishery resources modelling and assessment is handled in the scientific literature in two different ways: (1) as the process by which the dynamics of an exploited population is analyzed to determine its status or its exploitation, and (2) as the assessment of the consequences derived from the implementation of different management alternatives. This second definition is more complete since it includes the first one and links the assessment process and its social purpose, that is, the scientific advice for the sustainable management of fishery resources.
In SIMERPE 2 we understand the assessment process as a activity fundamentally quantitative, where modeling and simulation are the fundamental elements in the construction of the scientific advice for sustainable management of fishery resources.
SIMERPE 2 is organized as a forum of activities that allow a productive discussion on the present and future of the assessment of fishery resources. For this purpose, SIMERPE 2 includes scientific communications, as well as several theme tables where the current challenges of stock assessment will be addressed by leading researchers and the involved sectors such as managers, politicians, the fishing sector, NGOs, etc.
SIMERPE 2 accepts proposals for communications, in Spanish, Portuguese or English, from original research papers and also from reviews and syntheses, on the following topics:
- The role of biological processes (natural mortality, growth, reproduction, etc.) in the assessment.
- The role of fishing activity (selectivity, catch sampling, discards) in the assessment. Impact of the discards survival rate, landing obligation, etc.
- The stock-recruitment relationship.
- The calibration (surveys, CPUEs, effort, etc.) of the assessment models.
- Comparative studies: applying different methodologies in the same case; sensitivity analysis; simulation studies.
- Assessment methods (data limited or data rich stocks, mixed fisheries, spatial fisheries, etc).
- Reference points and indicators of correct environmental status.
- Assessment of management strategies (catch control standards, technical measures, etc.)
- Management Strategy Evaluation processes (theoretical and empirical)
- Ecological considerations (climatic change, spatial, multispecies, etc). Impact of climate change on the distribution and vital strategies of species and its impact on the assessment.
- Economic and social considerations.
- Spatial considerations (connectivity, stock structure)
- Deadline abstracts submission: May 31st, 2023
- Notification abstract acceptance: July 5th, 2023
- Registration deadline: July 15th, 2023
- Deadline for accepted poster submission: September, 18th
- 2023 Conference: October 24th-27th, 2023
SIMERPE 2 will be held at “Hotel Monasterio de San Miguel” in El Puerto de Santa María, Cádiz. For further information, please visit the WEBSITE
EL PUERTO DE SANTA MARÍA
In the heart of the Bay of Cádiz, next to the mouth of the Guadalete River, El Puerto de Santa María offers the essence of Andalusia condensed in this little jewel of the South.
Thus, along with its famous and endless beaches of fine golden sand along its 16 kilometers of coastline, beyond the coast, this historic city offers visitors a monumental legacy and incredible landscapes included in the Network of Protected Areas of Andalusia.
Landscapes that range from marshes to dune fields, from the white mountains of salt to the white villages of the mountains.